Friday, November 4, 2011

4 November KCttC

There was a time I loved going to the grocery store. It was like a game to me. I prepared for my shopping trips by making lists, comparing prices to different stores, matching sales to coupons, and always making sure both kids were well fed and rested before entering the store. But, a lot of things have changed. My go to market has changed their coupon policy, I don't have nearly the time I once did to commit to my coupons and match ups, the natives are older and much more active no matter how well fed or rested they are before we go, but the biggest problem is the constant rise in prices and our decreased food budget.
While trying to pay off our moving expenses we have decreased our weekly grocery budget. And, while frustrating, it isn't impossible. That is to say if prices were to stay the same. The problem, however, is that prices are noticeably higher each week. I know some of you must think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Because we are on such a restrictive budget I document each trip the prices of what I'm placing into our cart. This makes hitting our weekly grocery budget increasingly more difficult. And, today was no exception.
After I had both kids buckled into their seats and the groceries loaded into the back of the Mommymobile I called Hubby. And, while I did my best not to outwardly complain of the situation, the entire conversation was dripping with frustrated whining. *Ugh*, Mommy fail.
Once home my mind wandered over to a piece I've been writing for sometime about childhood hunger. I've not finished it. I have no idea where the piece is going. I just know that it has been weighing heavily upon my mind and I feel compelled, almost forced to write about it. The problem is that it's difficult for me to write about because I've never been hungry. I've never been hungry in the true since of hunger. I've never been food insecure. Oh, believe me, I've been more than insecure about the level of taste, appearance, and satisfaction about food in my life, but not once have I been food insecure.
And, with that in mind I put our groceries away with more thankfulness than I had shown in some time. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to crochet. No, today was not completely without complaint or negative thought free, but I have been filled with such a grateful spirit that I think it would be okay to add a square for today to the Grateful Granny Square project.

No comments: